Monday, August 1, 2011

Fearlessness

"Do not lose your fearlessness now, then, since the reward is so great. You will need perseverance if you are to do God's will and gain what he has promised." Hebrews 10:35-36 NJB


I have looked at several different translations of this scripture since it was pointed out to me in the Bible Study I was doing by Kay Arthur.  In most others it says "confidence" instead of "fearlessness".  But since I have been seeking verses on fear, I thought it mighty sweet of God to share this one with me. So what does it mean? Still using the imagery of us being in a battle of good and evil, a spiritual battle, then this verse is telling us to hold fast, stand firm, be fearless in the face of whatever the world is throwing our way.  How are your circumstances defeating you or frightening you? We can be brave because our Lord God Almighty, our Warrior God, goes into the battle before us. He is always present, so we can draw courage from Him.


Do not lose your fearlessness "now'. I'm sure each generation thinks their decades are the worst. 2011 seems plenty full of frightening uncertainties to me. Our technology allows us access to the tragedies that occur worldwide in hours if not minutes.  We see the heartbreak of destruction from war and from weather, from Afghanistan to Japan to Alabama. It seems more imperative --this now. Today, we must be brave, hold our place in the line of warriors, and do God's will.  Protect our families, our friends, and the weak, the poor, the orphans, the widows, the unloved, the sick, and love them as He has loved us.  Unconditionally. Without restraint. Or as best we mere humans, created in the image of God, can do.


What is the reward? What has He promised? Heaven. A place with no sickness, no pain, no tears, no hatred, no wars, but plenty of joy, peace, love and laughter. I think that is worth being fearless for my God. So when the leaders of this world can't decide right from wrong, and the media appears to be simply there to scare us to death, I remind myself that God is in control. None of this is a surprise to him. And though we may pray for Him to end this spiritual battle now, He knows the time and His goal is to get as many of us to heaven as He can.  So let's do our part and hold the line against cruelty and hatred one more day.

No comments:

Post a Comment