Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Our Shepherd

"Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. "  Psalm 23:4 NIV

Psalm 23 is one of the most famous of Bible scriptures. Even those with limited or no church background know these words.  What struck me as I read through it this time was, of course, "I will fear no evil". So here I am walking--not running, not scurrying, not strolling--but walking which implies calmly, steadily, one foot after the next foot through the darkest valley.  I am journeying "through" not stopping, not loitering, but traveling through a dark time.  And yet I will fear no evil. Why not? 

Can you imagine a dark time in your life, a time of great trial and challenge?  I lived through a dark time of divorce.  There were days I was convinced that I would never get through, but I did. There were days I lived in fear. Those fearful days were because I forgot the most important part..."for you are with me". God was with me. God is with me. God is with you. In the midst of that dark time, I couldn't see Him nor hear Him, but looking back now I recognize His daily love and protection. I survived because I was cradled in God's arms and surrounded by His earthly angels.

No matter what is going on in my life. God is with me. If I stand in the middle of a life filled with uncertainty, God is with me. If I am daily bombarded with annoyances, frustrations, and problems He is with me. If the sun shines, flowers bloom, the car starts, the child is safe, and I get eight hours of sleep, God is with me. It is so much easier to believe He is present when the days go smoothly, but I believe we press in so much closer when we are struggling.  I still fault my short memory. I'm going to make a new note and I encourage you to make your own also: "God is with me always."

No comments:

Post a Comment