Sunday, June 12, 2011

Whom Do I Trust?

"I wanna live with a fearless heart
Courage that's coming from trust in God
It's constantly guiding me though the road may seem dark
I wanna live wanna live with a fearless heart"

I thought it was time to remind myself and you about this verse from Point of Grace. I've researched men and women in the Bible who exhibited courage. I have read the verses that say "Be not afraid" and expressed my understanding of those verses.  The song verse above suggests that courage comes from Trust In God. And I thought, whom do I trust?

Trust implies an intimate relationship, a belief that the other person would answer the phone in the middle of the night, would even come get you if needed, someone who knows the best and worst about you and accepts you as you are. I am blessed to have a few of those people in my life. People I believe would give their all for me. Yet I have also trusted a few people who broke that trust. They broke my heart and my trust.

My trust in God was broken when despite my prayers for restoration in my marriage, my attempts at counseling and change, we divorced. I hate to even type it, but it was true. I was praying for the right thing and I believe God does not like divorce. Still, God honored my ex-spouse's right to choose for himself--free will. And though God has taken care of me, and I now love and am loved by a wonderful Christian man, those wounds heal slowly. Will God allow something like that to happen again?

A good friend pointed me to this verse:" Do not put your trust in princes,  in human beings, who cannot save."

People are fallible. We are not perfect--not by a long shot.  As a people we try to love as God loves, and we long for that love in return, that surety, that guarantee, but there truly is only one source of unconditional love. God. I am not saying you should not trust people. I am saying that people have limits and even the best of us will fail.  So where do I find that unconditional acceptance and love and trust?  God. So then how do I heal a broken trust?  And is the broken trust the source of my fear? I do believe God is good. So let's look at the character of God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment