Monday, June 3, 2013

Time - Day Three

“On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.”  Matthew 10:18-20 NIV

In the first two years of my divorce I experienced moments when I simply did not know what to do. Without a partner--a backup to bounce decisions off of--I was hesitant, unsure, frustrated. Not because I couldn’t make decisions, because I could. But the loss of my spouse--even thru divorce or especially through divorce--made me question myself. Could I make good decisions? Could I trust myself to know what was best? My longest relationship outside my family had failed. I was partially to blame. What did that say about me? Simple decisions became nearly impossible and in that autopilot survival mode, God took care of me.
My daughter, Erin, got to school, got fed, got insulin, got picked up from school when her sugar went too high and she became incoherent, and she got through the last four months of high school and graduated. I think back and it is like watching a bad TV movie.
Drama, drama, drama.
But when it was time, I gave an answer, someone picked up Erin’s car from school, my dad took the garbage to the street, the laundry got done and the groceries were bought. My body went through the motions while my mind and spirit were curled up in the palm of Jesus’ hands protected and safe. Then little by little, like a butterfly, I began to emerge from the cocoon of His hands.                                                      

Practical steps: Learn to lean on your Heavenly Father for support. When you can’t, He can. Start the day with a simple prayer. Lord, take this day and guide every decision. Amen.

Your thoughts: _______________________________________________

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment