Saturday, July 6, 2013

Anger - Day One

“Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save a life or to kill? But they remained silent. He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored.”  Mark 3:4-5 NIV
     Jesus got angry. He got angry at narrow-mindedness, lack of compassion, and the need for control. He was angry with their hard hearts. Anger in this form is a righteous anger. It is an emotional reaction to an unjust situation.
     There is nothing just in any divorce situation. Adultery, violence, verbal abuse, lack of love, growing apart, addictions are all unjust situations that can and do throw marriages into divorce. Some couples survive, but is very much a personal and case-by-case choice. A decision made in prayer and discussed with God. I believe God does not like divorce, but I also believe God is compassionate. Abundant life is not found at the end of a fist or through repeated betrayals. Jesus would be angry at the injustice of those situations as well.
     So is it okay to be angry? Yes. It is not okay to act out in that anger. Did I want to do bodily harm to my former spouse or at least to his truck? Yes! Did I want to tell my family all the horrible things? Yes, yes, and yes. Did I? NO! Did my tongue call him every name in the book, and say aloud words I did not even know I knew? But not in front of my child. I am not perfect. I repeat--I am not perfect. But in acting out our anger, we usually do ourselves more harm. When the anger is spent we are so worn out and sad that it hardly seems worth it.
     Jesus did something good in his anger—to right a wrong.  Can we learn to do that? Can we vent our anger properly? 
Practical steps:
The batting cages are wonderful for venting anger and releasing stress. A fast-paced walk is good for your body, heart and mind. Choose an activity that will physically push you.
Your thoughts:
__________________________________________________
"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry.” Ephesians 4:26 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment