Monday, July 29, 2013

Anger - Day Four


A fool gives full vent to his anger,
       but a wise man keeps himself under control.”
Proverbs 29:11 NIV

     We have all done things in anger, said things in anger that we wished later we could have taken back. That is what this verse is talking about. We are not always wise though and especially in the middle of a divorce, wisdom is hard to find. So we must lean on those smarter than us, those less emotional than us for guidance. A calm sure loving voice at the other end of the telephone. Without good friends, who knows the trouble I would have gotten into. I remember one night I was so angry I kept driving in circles around the city. I was too keyed up to go home to an empty house. I needed an outlet for my anger and I was looking for trouble.
           God lead me to a church parking lot. He provided pen and paper to vent my anger on instead of myself or someone else. I wrote the letter to my ex telling him how furious I was, how betrayed I felt, how unfair he had been, how low of a man I thought he was and more. By the time I finished I was exhausted. I drove myself home, took a hot shower and fell into bed. I gave the letter to my counselor.

Practical steps: God will provide a safe place to vent if you seek Him, and sometimes even if you do not seek Him. When physical activity isn’t available, then pen and paper are the next best thing. Cry out to God because we are His and He cares for us.

Your thoughts: _________________________________________________

 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

1 Peter 5:7 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment