Saturday, April 23, 2011

After the First Last Supper.....

Holy Thursday I attended mass to celebrate our Lord's Last Supper. There are 2 things significant in this service. Our priest has 12 people from the congregation come up front and he washes their feet. It was quite touching really. And easy to take that imagination leap to another gathering of  2000 years ago when Jesus did the same for his closest followers. Then at the end of the service the priest holding the Eucharist walks throughout the church in solemn silence, mimicing the walk to the Garden.  Then we were dismissed. When I got home I went to Luke 22:39-44 and began to read. 

"Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.  And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground."

Our dear Teacher, Master, fully divine and fully man, Jesus felt human fear, felt anxious at what he knew he was going to sufffer.  But where did Jesus go for strength, for courage, but to His Father in prayer. I am seeing a pattern in the Scriptures. When I am feeling the fear rise up to choke out joy, to choke out life, I need to be praying without ceasing.  Henri Nouwen said "We are a fearful people....but fear never gives birth to love."  And love is what God showed when He sent His son to us. Love is what Jesus displayed courageously walking to His death for us. Fear breeds distrust, anxiety, and gives birth to isolated joyless lives. That is not the life I want to live.  Jesus came that we may have life and have it to the full. I'd like my cup overflowing please! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment