Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day Four - Listen

I practiced listening alot today.

I listened at the grocery store buying groceries for my sister's 50th birthday party.

I listened to my mom and dad as we washed veggies, and rolled ham, and sliced rolls.

I listened to party guests talk about Susan, their own 50th birthday or the desire to not turn 50(in other words, not get OLD), various football games, children, being 'surprise' pregnant after last one born 5 years ago, different memories of our shared histories, places where our lives converged and then separated for a while only to re-converge again, and I heard love.

Are you surprised? I was. I am. But for a brief moment I heard the underlying love thread that ran through most of these conversations. Not that "oh you are the love of my life" kind of dialogue, but the "can you get the ice chest and run to store for 2 bags of ice after I hook up your IV antibiotics" kind of love.  The love that stands the test of the day to day, month to year to decade kind of test.  The love that seeped out between words of laughter and teasing.  Sometimes the words were actually said, but mostly you had to lsiten for it.

The love that was shared in commiserating a fallen favorite team or player.  The love heard in correcting a child gently but firmly. The love heard in the asking of "how are you" and then listening for the answer. The love heard in the validation of a life choice that might appear difficult to us but worked for the other person. The love heard in "you wait hear while the ham is sliced and I'll be right back" ......so much love.

Yet by listening, I was allowed a glimpse of that love that binds all of us one to another. In God's family. Such a gift to us all.  If you listen, can you hear the love?  Our world needs to hear it. Our world needs to recognize that we can make a difference by listening for the love and responding in love. I pray you hear the love and it blesses you as it has blessed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment