Sunday, January 19, 2014

Listen - Nineteen

.....I have mentioned that when my calendar reminder pops up with the word Listen, I try to stop and read my scripture verses, but sometimes I do a internet search. This time I searched "How to Listen to God" and got the best write up I have ever read. Absolutely. It is from John E. Batterson and written in the 1930's. This man's claim to fame, besides this wonderful How to, is being a personal friend of Dr. Bob, the co-founder of A.A.! 

   I love how he starts, by listing fundamental points about God

    1. God is alive. He always has been and He always will be.
    2. God knows everything.
    3. God can do anything.
    4. God can be everywhere - all at the same time.
    5. God is invisible, but GOD IS HERE.  He is with you now, He is beside you. He surrounds you. He is in you right now. He is in your heart.
    6. God cares very much for you. He is interested in you. He has a plan for your life. He has an answer for every need and problem you face.
    7. God will tell you all you need to know. He will not always tell you all that you want to know.
    8. God will help you do anything that He asks you to do.
    9. Anyone can be in touch with God, anywhere and at any time, if the conditions are obeyed.

    Just read those again. I mean I know this stuff, but I never thought to use it as a beginning, an intro into my time of prayer and dialogue with God. Yet, why not? It re-establishes quite firmly and truthfully who God is.  He can reach me, teach me, and guide me, as long as I am willing to: "Be still and quiet, to listen, to be honest about every thought that comes, to test the thoughts to make sure they come from God, and to obey",  also from John E. Batterson.
    There is more, but this is a good start for today. Basic fundamental truths about God and an attitude of heart, mind and body that we must assume in order to listen well and hear. More to come. Blessings!  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment