Thursday, January 30, 2014

Listen - Day Thirty

      I'd like to continue with the How to Listen to God from John E Batterson. On Day Nineteen I shared how he starts by telling truths about God. He ended that list with number 9... Anyone can be in touch with God, anywhere and at any time, if the conditions are obeyed. 
    The conditions are: to be quiet and still, to listen, to be honest about every thought that comes, to test the thoughts to be sure that they come from God, to obey.
     During the past 10 days I have been trying this out, practicing a bit on a small scale, similar to what I have written before. Getting quiet and trying to quiet my thoughts, my body, my mind and listen for the Holy Spirit, for God, for Jesus. 
     I am amazed....and not sure why...but utterly thankful at how personal God is. He always responds to an honest seeker.  Take this for what it's worth to you. To me...it's everything.  I sat with pen in hand and open journal, and a alarm clock set for 10 minutes.  Why you ask?  Jesus Calling author Sarah Young listened for God this way. That day I wrote: Henri Nouwen, my own God Speaking journal, Brighter than sun, Glory of Lord, I am who I am.
     I started rereading Spiritual Direction by Henri Nouwen, I also started rereading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert--- she used a God speaking journal to talk to and listen to God. Our pastor preached a sermon on "I am who I am" saying God always has been and always will be, God is eternal. And I watched a Beth Moore lesson on James yesterday where she talks about the Shekinah of God, the Glory of God is Jesus, brighter than sun.
     How cool is that
     I am underlining and taking notes as I read these books and study scripture. At the heart, at my heart, I want Jesus. He knows that!     
     God is listening to me, and I am listening to God. And it is so personal to me. Try listening yourself. Get quiet and open yourself up--open your heart, your mind, your ears, your spirit to the Holy Spirit who lives within us all. Blessings!    

No comments:

Post a Comment